Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chicago, really?

The truth is, first graders have a very small grasp on time.  As soon as you tell them that something is going to eventually happen, they will ask you every day, 4 times a day, until the event occurs.  Example: last week, we passed out field trip forms for a trip we're taking to the Lousiana Children's Museum after Thanksgiving.  My students ask me constantly, "Is the field trip today?"

First graders also have a very small grasp on distance.  One of my students asked me this morning when we were going to take a field trip to Chicago to see the snow.  Please note: we live in LOUISIANA.  Well, his question spread like wildfire, and in the successive moments as I attempted to quiet my students and usher them into class, I was asked by 5 other students, "Yeah, when are we going to Chicago?"  I'm betting most of those kids don't even know if Chicago is a city or a restaurant.

Oh, 6 year olds... :)

1 comment:

  1. I have not heard this story yet, but it amuses me all the same!!!!

    ReplyDelete