Sunday, February 13, 2011

fingerprints

Phew.  Cori and I got back to New Orleans yesterday after our busy wedding planning week in Virginia.  Later this week I'll post about all that we got accomplished, and add some pictures as long as I can steal them from Cori's camera.  But for now... some serious thoughts.

I've been praying that God would put His fingerprints on our wedding; that as we talk about how things are coming together that it would be so evident that the Lord was a part of it.  

Well, the reality is that while some things have come together easily, a lot has been difficult.  We've struggled to find reasonably priced bridesmaid dresses, registering feels overwhelming, and 150 guests is just not enough to accomdate all the people in our lives.  I got frustrated this week, and realized that I was frustrated with the process, but also frustrated with God.  Hello, God, where are those fingerprints I've been asking for?  Then it hit me- I've phrased it very spirtually, "Oh, Lord, be glorified through our wedding!" But really, that's not what I've been wanting.  I just want the whole planning process to be easy.  In reality, I wasn't asking the Lord to make Himself known- I was asking Him to be a magic genie that would grant me all my wedding wishes.

It was humbling to realize that was where my heart was.  So my new prayer is that Cori and I grow and learn in this engagement process.  I want us to know ourselves, each other, and our God better.  I want Jesus to prepare us for the lifelong committment of marriage, and if that means learning to better love each other in stressful moments, then I want that.  I want people to know more about Jesus and His goodness to us. 

...and you know, if He wants to make those bridesmaid dresses I love go on a huge sale, that'd be great too. ;)

6 comments:

  1. I really think that a huge part of engagement ifs learning to deal with conflict and decisions... Most people who are engaged have never haas to make decisions with this much money and feelings at stake. Yall are doing awesome! ( : and when you find that wedding genie you send him my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Rach, and I can't imagine doing it in only 6 months. Ya'll are amazing! And really when it comes down to it on your wedding day, all that will really matter is the two of you will be married! I know it doesn't seem like it now, but all those other things won't matter to you anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no easy in wedding planning. Maybe for some I suppose but I feel like that big day just gets too hyped up for even the sanest, calmest woman to keep her cool. I think the most important thing to remember/discover that its a myth that engagement/wedding planning is the most happiest part of you life. I'm pretty sure the most happiest time of this big change will be the honeymoon because the trip will be my reward after all this stress and I'll just get to BE with my favorite person.

    I'm reading "emotionally engaged: a bride's guide to surviving the 'happiest' time of her life" and some parts are relevant and some parts I skim over. Not sure its helpful to you but I thought I'd suggest it. Seeing stories of other women struggle make me feel less crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might add that the book is secular so she even goes so far as to suggest making a single life altar. I obviously skipped that part. Good luck! I'm sure it will be fun and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying for your wedding planning and the actual event to be filled with the Lord's presence and for you to have awareness of how He is at work through all of it!!! love you!

    ReplyDelete